27 April 2011

BZZZZZAPPP

27 April 2011.  BZZZZZAPPP!!   So that, I thought, is what it sounds like when you plug a 115 volt computer into a 230 volt outlet.  We had just made the mistake of plugging in one of the new computers before switching the power supply to the proper Tanzanian voltage.  Yes, the computer’s power supply was fried, and who knows what else inside.  It caused a bit of distress at the time, but it couldn’t dampen our spirits for long.

Yes, the long-awaited donation of computers has finally arrived from America.  Nine of them.  Enthusiastic “thank yous” to Perkins Coie LLP and my friends John and Lucas for the great gifts that you have given.  Today Bahati and I had a grand time opening the boxes, converting the voltage switches (all but one!), turning them on, and installing antivirus software.  I marveled at how fast these computers booted and installed the antivirus software.  Oh, these are going to be a huge improvement.      

The students gathered around, trying to get a look at the new equipment.  The most curious one asked me to show him how to make the connections.  As I did, he asked questions.  “What does USB mean?” he asked.  It took me a few seconds, but then “Universal serial bus,” I said.  “What does that mean?” he pressed.  He got no answer from me to that one.  After the BZZZZZAPPP he asked, “Why is the voltage different in America from Tanzania?”  Again, I had no good answer.  It was a good time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments: